About VFW Post 6435
In early 1946 a group of 130 World War I and World War II veterans decided to organize the VFW Post 6435. A charter was applied for and issued on March 3, 1946. Meetings were originally held at the Veterans Memorial Building on 6th and E Street in Antioch for some time.
During this period many fundraising events were held to create the building fund for our new post. On or about 1968 the property at Fulton Shipyard Road and Wilbur Avenue was purchased. At that time efforts were renewed to bolster the building fund.
In early 1978 ground breaking and construction on Post 6435 was started. At that time many of the members and friends were in the construction industry, and generously committed to volunteering their time to help with the construction of our new facility. A General Contractor was hired to provide the concrete foundation, building framing and roof. The remaining work for the building construction would be completed by the dedicated members and many friends. All the materials were either donated or purchased at considerably reduced prices.
As the construction work continued the Ladies Auxiliary assisted with providing lunches and refreshments for all the workers. The building and parking lot construction was completed in the winter of 1978 and the Post was open for business. Construction continued on the onsite improvements of the fences, sidewalks and landscaping. In June 1979 the official Grand Opening party was held with all in attendance.
Fundraisers continued until 1986 at which time we burned the mortgage. Construction was started at this time to enlarge the hall, increase the size of the parking lot and add the patio area and out buildings. Also at this time the staff and club manager were put on the payroll for their services.
Post 6435 continues to this day with the help of our officers, members, staff and friends. Through their efforts Post 6435 continues to be successful as we continue to add new amenities, make new improvements and provide support and friendship for all our veterans and our community.
As a proud member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Organization as well as proud Americans Post 6435 is an active member of our local community of the City of Antioch, CA and Contra Costa County. VFW Post 6435 provides our support for various local, state and national veteran organizations. Our Ladies Auxiliary is active in the assistance of our veteran families and orphans through out our district. Through our efforts we hope to enhance the quality of living and provide the needed assistance that is available to all our veterans. The Veterans of Foreign Wars has maintained the integrity of America and the strength of the Constitution of the United States. Post 6435 has and will continue to maintain this tradition and defend our Nation from all of her enemies. We respect the price that our veterans have paid and understand and share there sense of duty to the United States of America. Post 6435 strives to serve our members by providing our fellowship and assistance that they have earned.
|VFW Post 6435
|Senior Vice Commander:
|Junior Vice Commander: